About Me

I wear sensible shoes

I used to love wearing heels all the time, and then I started getting terrible foot pain all the time. I visited my podiatrist, and she showed me how much damage I was doing to my feet. She showed me how much better my feet would be able to react if I wore shoes with proper arch support and convinced me to try some sensible shoes. It made such a difference. My boyfriend says I'm a whole new person - a new person who doesn't complain about her aching feet all day long. Now I proudly wear sensible shoes and enjoy my life!

I wear sensible shoes

2 Running Injuries a Podiatrist Can Help to Treat

by Jordan Fernandez

Running is a great way to keep fit. If you regularly go for runs, you may be placing a lot of stress on your feet, legs and hips. This pressure can cause damage to your body which may take a long time to heal and which could cause you considerable pain. Below is a guide which will help you to treat two of the most common types of injuries faced by runners.

Shin splints

If you experience a dull pain at the front of your lower leg, this is most likely caused by a condition known as shin splints. Shin splints occur when the tissue which surrounds the bone in your lower leg becomes inflamed. The most likely cause is wearing footwear which does not provide adequate cushioning, running for an extended distance for the first time, and running on uneven road surfaces. Shin splints are not a serious condition, and it can be easily treated at home using over-the-counter pain medication, rest and the application of ice packs to the affected area. If pain continues, you should see a podiatrist, who will be able to assess your feet and lower legs.

Runner's knee

Runner's knee is a condition which affects a lot of people who go for runs on a regular basis. The first sign that you have developed runner's knee will be a pain at the front of the kneecap. Runner's knee is caused by the stress created by the repeated impact of your feet on the ground. If runner's knee is not treated, the joint can become misaligned which can cause long-term damage to the cartilage inside your kneecap. If you develop runner's knee, you should rest for a few days until the pain has subsided. If you keep developing this condition, you should visit a podiatrist. The podiatrist will assess your gait and the strength of the muscles in your feet and legs. They may also recommend that you change your footwear or that you carry out exercises which will help you to improve the strength of your knees.

If you have suffered a running injury, you should book an appointment with a podiatrist today. The podiatrist will be happy to talk you through the treatment options which are available to you and to refer you on to another specialist who can help you throughout your recovery. Before you know it, you will be back up and running.